Saturday 19 October 2013

The Husband's Secret- Liane Moriarty

 
The Husband's Secret has been one of the runaway success stories of the summer.  Being chosen as a Richard and Judy Bookclub choice gave the book plenty of exposure and the attractive cover seemed to be staring out at me from every bookshelf in bookshops, supermarkets and libraries.

I am part of a small book group and The Husband's Secret was our October choice.  I had been planning to read it anyway, and when I won a copy from the lovely Anne at the Random Things Through my Letterbox blog I took it as fate!

The book explores curiosity, guilt and secrets.  When Cecelia finds an letter from her husband in a box of paperwork, addressed to her with the instruction 'to be opened only in the event of my death', she is torn.  Should she open it when her husband is very much alive?  Or should she put it back and pretend it has never been found? 

The Husband's Secret very cleverly entwines the stories of Australian families within a small town and the characters are well crafted and believable.  It is very much a book focusing on relationships and how the actions of one person can impact on a wider circle.  I was definitely gripped by the plot and wanted to keep turning the pages to discover how the story would end.  I can't say too much more without giving away the whole story, and that would definitely spoil it for any of you that haven't read it, but I will say this- buy this book!

Our book group described it as 'intriguing' and 'thought-provoking', giving it an average rating of 8/10 . All six members said they would recommend it to a friend.

The Husband's Secret is out now, published by Penguin.

8/10

2 comments:

  1. I do like the sound of this one. It's on the wishlist for later. I have too many books tog t through before I get any more :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased that you enjoyed it Kate x

    ReplyDelete